Monday, June 20, 2011

A thorny one - Zanthoxylum zanthoxyloides






Updated Tuesday 21st June: Identified by Barry S: Zanthoxylum zanthoxyloides.

This is an endangered species. The roots are very much wanted for medicinal uses, and people don't bother to plant new trees when they destroy old ones. Very sad. I know one Dutch person in Gambia who has a big one in his garden. He allows the "medicine man" dig out ONE root every year from his tree, not more than that.  The individual I have pictured, is inside a compound with high concrete fences so it will be safe.
-----------------------------------------------------


I wonder if this is the same as Barry had found on the net googling West African trees end of 2010. It is a smallish tree with many stems, bush-like. 


Unfortunately I never went there again, so I have no picture of open flowers or any fruit. No seeds to pick. But I know excactly where it grows, so next season next try.

The second last picture should be vertical, I dont know how to rotate it without removing and replacing. Sorry.

1 comment: